Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Monday, November 26, 2007
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Saturday, November 24, 2007
I found this site from Collective Perception
Top of High Drive: Dan V., John G., me, and Rick H. about midway through a four-hour run this morning.
In chilly 10 degree temps, we started at Memorial Park, Manitou Springs at 7 A.M.; wound our way up Crystal Park Road to the Intemann Trail, joined the Red Rock Loop to High Drive, ran to the top of High Drive, picked up the Buckhorn Trail, and looped back on the Jones Park Trail--about 24 miles.
Friday, November 23, 2007
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Monday, November 19, 2007
An American Self-Portrait
This new series looks at contemporary American culture through the austere lens of statistics. Each image portrays a specific quantity of something: fifteen million sheets of office paper (five minutes of paper use); 106,000 aluminum cans (thirty seconds of can consumption) and so on.
Robert D. Steele
This book is vastly more detailed, and covers more high crimes and misdemeanors, than either State of Denial, which misunderstands Bush as being in charge, or Crossing the Rubicon, which focuses primarily on Cheney's role in first permitting 9-11, and then working assiduously to cover up his malicious malfeasance. See also Ron Susskind's book, "One Percent Doctrine," which crucifies Cheney, Rumseld, and Rice.
I take this book so seriously that I urge everyone to get the "Do It Yourself Impeachment" kit. He should be required to immediately resign or be impeached. He should not be allowed to serve another month in office.
For the sake of brevity, here is a list of impeachable offenses documented by this book:
1) Secret meetings in violation of the law to include exclusion of government experts
2) Refusal to honor demand from Congress for a list of participants
3) Lies to the public about Iraq, while holding maps of oil fields and already having in mind a US-only domination of those oilfields (he first focused on Iraqi oil while serving Secretary of Defense Brown)
4) Over-ruling of the Environmental Protection Agency on very important matters including its concern over Halliburton's reliance on hydraulic fracturing that uses chemicals that contaminate aquifers--Cheney personally ensured that the EPA's wording was replaced with Halliburton's wording.
5) Consistent and pervasive usurpation of Congressional authorities and consistent and maliciously deliberate avoidance of appropriate disclosure.
6) Fostered attacks on Sy Hersh, and considered authorizing a break-in on his home.
7) From the 1970's, see also Ron Susskind's One-Percent Doctrine, subverted the authority of the Vice President, Nelson Rockefeller, and teams with Justice Scalia (then an assistant attorney general) to increase executive privileges and push back reforms.
8) As a Congressman personally blew off Russian offer in 1983 for arms cuts, and subverted the authority of the President and the Secretary of State then serving.
9) As an extremist Republican, supported Ollie North and the White House in violating the Congressional prohibitions on aid to the Contras, and obstructed justice thereafter.
10) Page 78 has a lovely discussion of how Cheney and North were "in the zone" in deceiving the public and Congress during the televised hearings.
11) Adopted as his own the lunatic report by Khalizad (who is a very lazy scholar, see my review of his rotten RAND book on revolution) and Libby, on how the US as a superpower should be able to do ANYTHING.
12) Attempted to undermine due process and keep tactical nuclear weapons in the Army inventory.
13) Subverted the authority of the Secretary of State (Colin Powell) by allowing his daughter to overrule Ambassadors and meet privately with various heads of state.
13) Lied repeatedly to the public about his continuing financial equities with Halliburton, and was so involved in giving Halliburton up to 16 billion in no bid contracts.
14) Shut both foreign competitors and more cost-effective indigenous contracting solutions, severely harming the national security of the United States by fostering an environment of unproductive looting by Halliburton, Bechtel, and others.
15) Ignored his dual mandates on terrorism and intelligence. The book suggests that Bush was not briefed on Al Qaeda for the first eight months he was in office (the Vice President's priorities were energy and missile defense).
16) Personally impeded negotiations with North Korea after they proved amenable to diplomatic engagement.
17) Personally rejected Iranian overtures for negotiation conveyed by the Swiss in 2003
18) Personally reinforced Rumsfeld on use of torture, by-passing the President's more measured restrictions.
19) Conspired with Speaker Hastert to subordinate the House of Representatives, using a special office of his own (first time in history) so that Representatives could be brought to him rather than his calling on them.
20) Manipulated the President into numerous "signing statements" inconsistent with the will of Congress that ignored legislation then in force.
21) "Bureaucratically emasculated" the President (page 177--if the President has a friend that reads this review, PLEASE get the book and the review to the President--he really may have no idea his balls have been cut off)
22) Contemptuous and manipulative of the CIA, refusing to accept their best professional judgments based not only all source intelligence, but on a extraordinary effort by Charlie Allen in running line crossers into Iraq to document beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were no weapons of mass destruction there.
23) Lied repeatedly, over and over, to the public, to Congress, to the President, to foreign leaders, even after the lies were exposed he continued to repeat them.
The book does not discuss the 9-11 situation and emerging findings that place the Vice President at the center of our deliberately inept response.
Two gems apart from the impeachable offenses:
1) The search for a Vice President was a complete fraud, he was picked from day one, and made a fool of every serious candidate, while also personally leaking to destroy Keating just to ensure the only real rival would not be considered at the last minute.
2) The discussion of Joe Lieberman's refusal to confront Cheney with all that was known to be wrong with him was explained at the time as "taking the high moral road." I am not so sure. I speculate that Lieberman is actually a neo-con and has been playing the Democrats for fools while minding the interests of his Wall Street masters.
On page 147 the authors discuss how Cheney accused Clinton and Gore of "extend[ing] our military commitments while depleting our military power." Lovely. And now?
The authors conclude that Dick Cheney is "nakedly amoral." I agree.
One final scary note: in the many doomsday drills that Cheney participated in across his career and inclusive of his Vice Presidency, they always failed to reconstitute Congress.
Dick Cheney has done more damage and is a greater threat to our Republic and others, than Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein combined.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Friday, November 16, 2007
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
H.R.300: To limit the jurisdiction of the Federal courts, and for other purposes.
This an attempt to decrease The Federal Courts' Constitutional Powers by simple legislation, outside of the Amendment Process. Worse it does not even pretend to be an equal application, because it would restrict the Courts' oversight only in controversies relating to: the free exercise or establishment of religion; any claim based upon the right of privacy, including any such claim related to any issue of sexual practices, orientation, or reproduction; and any claim based upon equal protection of the laws to the extent such claim is based upon the right to marry without regard to sex or sexual orientation.
Paul doesn't want to destroy the whole 14th Amendment with unconstitutional legislation. His real agenda is for the 14th to carry force to give American citizenship to foetuses at the very moment of their conception.
H.R.2597: To provide that human life shall be deemed to exist from conception.
H.R.1094: To provide that human life shall be deemed to exist from conception.
There is no wink and nod to State's Rights here, nor is there any chance for a less intrusive government. Every woman who has a miscarriage could immediately find herself the target of a homicide investigation. These proposals arrogantly disregard potential maternal life-threatening possibilities that come with pregnancy. As an example of this: Ectopic Pregnancy is now estimated to occur in 2% of all pregnancies in the U.S. The fetus will not survive gestation, and by not terminating the pregnancy, the mother risks future infertility, and severe complications, a few of which could result in her death.
Big bad Paul endangers pregnant womens' health to push his religious ideology upon America with the biggest single entitlement to American citizenship ever legislated.
H.J.RES.46: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to deny United States citizenship to individuals born in the United States to parents who are neither United States citizens nor persons who owe permanent allegiance to the United States.
This cannot be defended as original intent. One of the Declaration of Independence's listed causes for America's claim of a natuiral right to sever their British citizenry was that King George had:
"...endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws of Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migration hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands."
This should be exposed for its ugly reality. It is a bill of attainder that works a corruption of blood upon humans born within the Sovereign Territory of the United States of America. It is Unamerican to force children to be punished for the crimes of their parents. It also makes a mockery of any who claim there can be a positive comparison made between Thomas Jefferson and Ron Paul.
"My opinion on the right of Expatriation has been, so long ago as the year 1776, consigned to record in the act of the Virginia code, drawn by myself, recognizing the right expressly, and prescribing the mode of exercising it. The evidence of this natural right, like that of our right to life, liberty, the use of our faculties, the pursuit of happiness, is not left to the feeble and sophistical investigations of reason, but is impressed on the sense of every man. We do not claim these under the charters of kings or legislators, but under the King of kings. If he has made it a law in the nature of man to pursue his own happiness, he has left him free in the choice of place as well as mode; and we may safely call on the whole body of English jurists to produce the map on which Nature has traced, for each individual, the geographical line which she forbids him to cross in pursuit of happiness. It certainly does not exist in his mind. Where, then, is it? I believe, too, I might safely affirm, that there is not another nation, civilized or savage, which has ever denied this natural right. I doubt if there is another which refuses its exercise. I know it is allowed in some of the most respectable countries of continental Europe, nor have I ever heard of one in which it was not. How it is among our savage neighbors, who have no law but that of Nature, we all know."
The Writings of Thomas Jefferson; Definitive Edition, Albert Ellery Bergh, Editor
Copyright, 1905, By The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association; Volume XV; pp 124,125
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Monday, November 12, 2007
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Friday, November 09, 2007
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
DFA pulse poll of 100,000 + shows Kucinich in wide lead for Democratic nomination... Why is that so at odds with the conventional wisdom?
Dennis Kucinich's Articles of Impeachment against Vice Prez Cheney and updates on House floor vote
DailyKos: Gore Slams Bush Regime
Monday, November 05, 2007
I just started Naomi Wolf's "The End of America". MUST READ for all patriots. The hour is getting late. Germany and Italy were both democracies before their societies were shut down. The exact same steps to close an open society are being taken in America RIGHT NOW.
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Here is my report on the Colorado Springs action for StepitUp07 for awareness and action on Global Warming.