Sunday, January 16, 2005

Mississippi Marathon

I ran the Mississippi Marathon yesterday on the Natchez Trace Parkway near Jackson, MS yesterday. I'm still here in MS, writing this from my room in the Ramada Inn. The course is very pleasant--an out and back along the scenic Natchez Parkway. Unsure of my condition, I took a gamble and latched on early to the leader and eventual winner, clicking off 6:10 miles until close to the turn around point, 13.1 miles into the race. Well, I'm not there yet--I crashed, finishing in 3:08. That's the problem with marathon memory, pace, and the limits of the body. You see, my marathon memory tells me that I can do that pace (and faster) for the distance--problem is the body is not ready. Therein lies the dilemma. Only way forward is more miles on the legs. So this is my task before the next marathon in Myrtle Beach, SC in one month. My plan is the tried and true Mon, Tue, Wed, 10-12-10 miles, followed by Thursday morning hill climb with CRUD and Sunday long run with the Incline Club.

No comments: