Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rep. Jack Murtha on Who Is Fighting the War

Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) responds passionately on the House floor to comments by Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-MI) that "we" are fighting the war in Iraq.

"It is interesting to here the gentleman say 'we,' we fight, we aren't going to give up," he said. "Let me tell you something, we aren't fighting this war. It's the troops overseas, and when I talk to the families, when I go to the hospitals, I see the results of this war."

Murtha grew more heated as his went on, wagging his finger as he concluded, "Don't tell me we're fighting in this air conditioned office, we're not fighting this war, they're fighting it! And I'm proud of every single one of them!"

Murtha renewed his call for a draft, saying that if we are truly fighting the war we should spread the burden around the population.

No comments: