Friday, February 04, 2005

Loving San Diego

Tonight, my last night in San Diego, I had Spanish food up in the Hillcrest neighborhood: Salad with cilantro dressing, roasted garlic with mushrooms and toast, and a glass of red Spanish wine. Exquisite.

I then drove out to the Kenwood district to watch "Born into Brothels": a documentary I picked because I'm certain it won't be playing in Col Spgs, and maybe not even in Denver. It's a sad movie, but uplifting in a way--a documentary about kids growing up in brothels in Calcutta. A European woman teaches them how to take photographs and tries to help them to get into school to escape that life. She gets their photographs into exhibits in Amsterdam and one even gets to travel there to show his photos.

During my lunch break from my Satellite Communications class I drove out to Sunset Cliffs and watched surfers ride big waves. I could live here. San Diego is a clean, attractive, sensible, culturally literate town.

No comments: