Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Books I read in 2004

"What's the Matter with Kansas" by Thomas Frank
"The President of Good and Evil: The Ethics of George W. Bush" by Peter Singer
"Bushwacked" by Molly Ivins
'"Crimes against nature: How George W. Bush and his corporate pals are plundering the country and hijacking our democracy" by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
"In Denali's Shadow" by Jon Waterman
"The Open Space of Democracy" Terry Tempest Williams
(This book was the number best seller of Blue Hill Independent Book Store in Blue Hill, Maine when I visited there in Oct -- thought I should read it to get a pulse on "Blue America")
"The Age of Sacred Terror" Benjamin Nelson
"An Hour Before Daylight" Jimmy Carter
Former president is ever humble. His hard scrabble beginnings to later success are an inspiration. What a great American.
"Official Report of the 9-11 Commission"
Required reading for EVERY American citizen. 'Nuff Said.
"Desire and Ice: Searching for Perspective atop Denali" by David Brill
Great armchair reading for high mtn climber wannabe's.
"The Trouble with Islam" by Irshad Manji
Her audience (Islamists) don't read nor do they think. Sad.

"Against All Enemies" by Richard Clarke
Devastating indictment of the current administration. No wonder they immediately attacked this patriot's character...

"Living Poor: A Peace Corps Chronicle" by Moritz Thomson
Timeless piece on his stint in Equador in the '60's.
"A Season on the Matt: Dan Gable" by ? I needed to get an update on where my greatest hero of all time was now... A living arthritic wreck...But a towering figure....nevertheless....

"Who Killed Daniel Pearl?" by Bernard Levy
Complicated tale -- probably the intel service of Pakistan....

"So Long See you Tomorrow" by William Maxwell
Read this on rec from my brother Doug. Glad I did.
"The Iron Road" by James Mawdreley
Wow. This guy allowed himself to be arrested in Burma to protest abuses by the gov't. He spent over a year in prison.
"Crazy Horse" by Larry McMurtry
"The Food Revolution" by Tim Robbins
The book my kids used to convert me to Veganism
"My Invented Country" by Isabelle Allende
I love everything this woman writes
"Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts
Trying to get it straight before I retire...
"The Price of Honor: Women from the Islamic World break the silence" by Jan Goodwin
Read this and you will realize that there is no compromise with evil.
"Me against my Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan, and Rwanda" Scott Peterson

No comments: